How to Write a B2B Content: 6 B2B Content Writing Tips for 2023
Last Updated on:01-06-23
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Truth is B2B content writing is starkly different from B2C content writing.
Compared to business-to-consumer companies, operating as a business-to-business enterprise your content marketing strategy has to focus on attracting a number of key decision-makers and shareholders, not just one person.
Sales funnels are also more extensive, so you need high-quality content at every touch point to attract leads and nurture them until the deal is done.
Worry not, though!
Fortunately, we’re are to help out with 6 industry secrets for B2B content writing that will open new doors of success for your business. Let’s go!
6 Tips and Tricks to Nail Your B2B Content Writing Journey
1. Define Your Voice: Keep Working On It
One of the first B2B content writing tips is figuring out your brand voice is not a one-time activity. It’s a continuous process that will help you improve over time. The best way to go about this process is by taking notes.
Whenever you write business content, list the steps that helped you get to the final draft. You can then refer to these guidelines for your next task as well. It will help you in maintaining consistency.
As you create more content, you’ll discover new tips and tricks on how to write a B2B content. Keep jotting them down in your guidelines, and you will have the perfect guidebook.
What Should Your Voice Be Like?
Remember: we don’t want to end up creating boring content. While each brand has its own voice, you should ensure that your voice aligns with your brand’s personality.
Audiences are not a fan of dry write-ups. Humor, puns, and examples are excellent instruments to keep them hooked. While you can’t turn B2B content into a comedy script, you can always sprinkle a few clever bits to break the monotony—given that you don’t sway away from the central topic.
The trick is to present value-packed content with a fun and lightweight tone to keep your audience interested.
MailChimp is one of the few platforms that has cracked the code of B2B content.
If you’re wondering how straightforward topics can be made interesting, you should draw inspiration from MailChimp. Their content fulfills all the requirements; it addresses the reader directly, uses simple language, and doesn’t sound dry.
If you check out their website, you will observe several instances of colloquialism, quirk, and alliteration. All of these factors contribute to its unique brand voice.
2. Perform Thorough Research to Chalk Out the Intricacies
Research is the key to winning your reader’s trust. It is important to understand what is b2b content writing so that your content created prove that you can not only talk the talk but also walk the walk.
So, make sure that your content offers actionable insights that address your audience’s pain points. Your research about target audience should be airtight to build confidence and credibility for your business. In case you feel unsure about putting something in your content, refer to an expert.
How To Create Credible Content?
Here is our trusted B2B content writing tips to create accurate and reliable content.
- Authority Websites: Try to get as much information as you can via authoritative sites. Official sources that end in .org, .gov, and such as considered reliable.
- Collaborate And Proofread: It never hurts to get a fresh perspective. Once you’re done writing, reach out to your team members and ask them to proofread it.
- Fact-Checking: Always, always, always fact-check! No matter how confident you are of your memory, check each fact with multiple sources to ensure that the content is 100% correct.
Take Hootsuite, for instance. Their Resource Library is full of helpful content that can help businesses reach new heights. These articles are rich with facts and figures and even expert opinions. Moreover, Hootsuite periodically releases reports on relevant topics.
The Resource Library allows you to filter the articles based on five different categories across 11 industries.
3. Don’t Get Too Caught Up in Technical Jargon
While it helps to keep B2B content authoritative, any jargon in your content can dip its value. Shorter words are easier to understand and have a better chance of resonating with the audience.
Once you start cutting out big words, you will notice your brand’s voice shine through.
- We help you enhance your KPIs and boost revenue.
- We help you reach your most important goals while bringing in more money.
Remember: even though you’re creating B2B content, your audience are still people. Create a conversational tone and make the reader feel like you’re with them.
Dropbox is the perfect example of short and sweet. You can see that they’ve only taken a few lines to explain their platform instead of going on and on about it. Moreover, there are no technical or confusing terms.
You should strip any talk of your offerings except for the absolute essentials. It is the key to keeping the reader interested.
4. Design Visual Content to Bring More Eyes
Written text is only one part of content creation—you shouldn’t forget about visual content while formulating your B2B strategy.
Although B2B content writing has traditionally focussed on text, graphics and videos also play an essential role. They are an excellent medium for conveying data-heavy information and simplifying complex concepts.
For instance, if you want to use statistical data to tell your readers how your product can benefit their business, infographics are the ideal choice. Besides being more visually appealing, they also help readers retain information to the maximum extent.
Likewise, you can make blogs a lot more interesting by including video tutorials in between the walls of text.
How To Visualize Your Content Effectively?
- Repurpose Existing Content: Convert your blogs into pictures and videos and vice versa, boosting the volume and value of all formats.
- Spruce Up Your Social Media Presence: Post visuals on social media platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter, to engage your audience.
- Brand The Visuals: If your videos or infographics are insightful, people may share them further. Sneak your logo into the visuals to boost your brand image.
Let’s look at this blog from Asana about MBO. The topic is quite dry and difficult to grasp.
However, they’ve broken the information into digestible bits and created attractive graphics to make the content easily understandable. The image directly addresses how it can be a boon or a bane for the business.
The readers are now more likely to understand and remember the concepts explained here.
5. To Err Is Human, To Edit Divine
Editing is a must for stellar B2B content writing. Businesses often focus most of their editing efforts on B2C content, leaving B2B communication unpolished. However, meticulous editing can make all the difference.
If you publish content that is peppered with errors or difficult to interpret, your brand image might take a hit.
The best way to avoid such a scenario would be to hire a professional editor. They can catch even the tiniest of errors and even provide suggestions to improve your content.
Remember to go through all of the points discussed above. To recap, your content should:
- Be conversational
- Avoid jargon
- Use colloquialism
- Be factually correct
- Address the reader
- Use shorter words and sentences
How To Edit B2B Content Like A Pro?
Here’s a quick rundown of some tips and tricks that can help your writers and editors produce good-quality content.
- Ensure that the person writing the content is not the one editing it. A fresh pair of eyes can make all the difference.
- Use tools like Grammarly and Hemingway to improve the quality of your text.
- Make the content scannable with lists and tables.
- Use proper heading and paragraph tags.
- Try to keep paragraphs between 1 to 3 lines each.
6. Factor In Search Engine Optimization
Optimization is perhaps the most crucial factor for enhancing your brand visibility.
While you need to remember that your audience consists of humans, you also need to optimize your content simultaneously to please search engine crawlers.
It doesn’t matter whether you want your content to drive sales or just be informative; search engine optimization is imperative. It is especially crucial because competition between B2B entities is typically higher than that between B2C entities.
SEO guarantees that your content is valuable and relevant and helps you target the right audience for your business.
Best Practices For B2B Content Optimization
Let’s go through some practices that you can follow to optimize your B2B content writing.
- Select Your Keywords Realistically: Using less competitive keywords will improve your chances of ranking higher on a SERP.
- Focus On Link Building: Try creating several backlinks to your website to improve your rankings. These links should ideally appear in the main body of the content.
- Optimize Your Title And Meta Description: Using your target keyword in these fields can significantly impact your rankings.
- Technical SEO Strategies: Keywords are just one part of SEO. Focus on other technical strategies, such as voice search, site structure, and local search.
- Use SEO Tools: Online platforms, such as Yoast and Surfer SEO, are excellent tools for optimizing your content.
How To Build Suitable Backlinks?
Link building can be a rather stressful activity. However, if done correctly, you could help your business visibility significantly.
Here are a few ways of going about building backlinks.
- Ask people with blogs or websites to link your business in their content.
- Provide testimonials for businesses that you’ve previously worked with.
- List your company on niche and informative directories.
- Guest post on relevant websites.
- Identify mutual backlinks with your competitors.
- Publish case studies and reports with facts that others can cite.
It is about time that businesses invest the same amount of time and resources in B2B content writing as they do in B2C or D2C communication.
Creating dry B2B content is no longer the norm, and you need to think beyond the boring ways if you want to leave a long-lasting impression.
If writing is not your cup of tea, don’t fret! Seasoned content marketing agencies, such as WrittenlyHub, are a fantastic choice for all your B2B content needs.
The sooner businesses realize the difference a polished piece of content can make, the sooner they will be able to boost their visibility. If you can see how the content industry can make a difference to your venture, work on uncovering your brand voice today!